Thursday, June 11, 2009

Toasty

It really has cooled down here over the last couple of days and this morning saw our first frost for the year... With stocks running low on the sock front for both my girls I decided a few pairs of these were in order to keep their little tootsies nice and toasty.... This pair's for Little Millie (my 6 month old). I made them by knitting 2 yarns together at once, a fluffy novelty 12ply yarn and an acrylic/wool blend 8ply yarn using 4.5mm needles.

The inspiration for these little cuties came from here. After a few modifications this is what I came up with as to size the pattern down to fit a 6 month old.

cast on 16st.
row 1 - knit.
row 2 - k4,p1,k6,p1,k4.
rep last 2 rows 6 more times.
toe - k1,p1 across.
rep this row 3 more times.
dec row 1 - k1,p1,k1,p1,k2tog, k1,p1,k1,p1,k2tog,k1,p1,k1,p1.
next row - knit in pattern.
dec row 2 - k1,p1,k1,p1,k2tog,p1,k1,p1,k2tog,p1,k1,p1.
next row - knit in pattern.
Thread tail onto darning needle and thread stitches off needle onto tail, thread through again and pull REALLY tight…. Sew up along the toe ribbing to enclose shoe and weave in end. Fold cast on edge in half and sew closed, weave in ends…

This is such a great stash busting project!!! I love the simplicity of these little slippers and can see my little girls wearing loads of them this Winter as they only take 1 good solid hour of knitting to complete a whole pair, gotta love that... ^_^

I'm already 1/2 way through a pair in toddler size 3 for Miss Connie and will post my pattern notes for those interested some time next week...

Take Care and Happy Crafting....

11 comments:

  1. They look so gorgeous! Would they be hard to make for beginner knitters like me?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.They are great. They look warm and soft. I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They looks so warm....I could use a pair of those myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the memories. I grew up with handmade knitted slippers/bed socks. They look great Jodie.
    My god, hasn't 6 months gone so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Millie's slippers are so cute and yes indeed it is very cold where we are too. I can feel it in my lungs every time I go out the door, perhaps I need a balaclava to wear outside. I cant wait to see Miss Connie's slippers and I am sure those little girls toes will be nice and toasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I need an adult version of these - they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. perfect!! must knit some of these for my little man. thanx for the pattern tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jodie, just letting you know I tagged you for a meme. Join in if you have the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are so cute and look like they will be so warm and cosy.

    ReplyDelete

Spring Seed Swap?

I had big plans of sharing a late Winter garden update with you all this post, full of beautiful pictures of Wintry produce such as peas (...